No One At Home
Spastic Minnow
post May 27 2010, 09:13 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 10

What are the thoughts on this demo?

I tend to skip the other PsPs demos but I do love listening to this one. Vanishing Girl does turn out to be the better song but it's already a really good'un in demo form.

...or is it "demo version" form? We talked about this before but I'm not sure if it's been verified. Did Colin redo the vocals and maybe some of the music for the demo songs? He has said before that his demos were always more sketchy and basic as compared to Andy's. So is this a "demo version" as in a rerecording of the home demo but not the actual recording?

For those that are still hesitating on buying the remaster because it doesn't have any "new" songs like 25 O'clock did- THIS is your "new" song.

And as a side not about Vanishing Girl. Whay oh why wasn't Vanishing Girl a single on this album? YaGM Albert Brown is a good song and all but it is also maybe the closest to a novelty version of a fake 60's song on the album. Vanishing Girl would have made a much bigger splash in my opinion. The song would have been a stand out track on a regular XTC album if it were done in a more contemporary style.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Per Aronsson
post May 27 2010, 10:15 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5

QUOTE (Spastic Minnow @ May 27 2010, 11:13 PM) *
What are the thoughts on this demo?

I tend to skip the other PsPs demos but I do love listening to this one. Vanishing Girl does turn out to be the better song but it's already a really good'un in demo form.

...or is it "demo version" form? We talked about this before but I'm not sure if it's been verified. Did Colin redo the vocals and maybe some of the music for the demo songs? He has said before that his demos were always more sketchy and basic as compared to Andy's. So is this a "demo version" as in a rerecording of the home demo but not the actual recording?

For those that are still hesitating on buying the remaster because it doesn't have any "new" songs like 25 O'clock did- THIS is your "new" song.

And as a side not about Vanishing Girl. Whay oh why wasn't Vanishing Girl a single on this album? YaGM Albert Brown is a good song and all but it is also maybe the closest to a novelty version of a fake 60's song on the album. Vanishing Girl would have made a much bigger splash in my opinion. The song would have been a stand out track on a regular XTC album if it were done in a more contemporary style.

I am pretty damn sure that the demos "No One At Home", "The Affiliated" and "What In The World??" are newly recorded. They are to modern sounding, and well recorded, for being old Colin demos. Just compare with "Shiny Cage" that without no doubt is an old demo...

Oh, and Spastic my Minnow friend, have you been drinking? "Vanishing Girl" was released as a single. Both as a 7" and a 12".

+Quote Post
Spastic Minnow
post May 27 2010, 10:36 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10

QUOTE (Per Aronsson @ May 27 2010, 05:15 PM) *
Oh, and Spastic my Minnow friend, have you been drinking? "Vanishing Girl" was released as a single. Both as a 7" and a 12".

That can't be right, wouldn't it have been a giant hit? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

WOuldn't there have been a music video?

In my defense I was 12 at the time and didn't know who XTC were.

+Quote Post
saturnboy
post May 27 2010, 10:43 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 25

Vanishing Girl was the b-side of the Albert Brown single actually, and was also a promotional 7" and 12". I too think that at the very least the Colin demos were "tarted up" as they sound really good. I think Vanishing Girl is one of the best things the boys ever did!

+Quote Post
Per Aronsson
post May 28 2010, 06:28 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5

QUOTE (saturnboy @ May 28 2010, 12:43 AM) *
Vanishing Girl was the b-side of the Albert Brown single actually, and was also a promotional 7" and 12". I too think that at the very least the Colin demos were "tarted up" as they sound really good. I think Vanishing Girl is one of the best things the boys ever did!

Yes, thatīs correct. I had forgot that "Vansishing Girl" was released as a promo...

Eh, not easy to "tart up" erased demos!

This post has been edited by Per Aronsson: Nov 26 2010, 07:25 PM

+Quote Post
saturnboy
post May 30 2010, 10:54 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 25

QUOTE (Per Aronsson @ May 28 2010, 12:28 AM) *
Eh, not easy to "tart up" erased demos!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Stephen Hope
post Sep 15 2010, 12:45 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 84

I love the fact Colin clearly took time to record these new demos. Hasn't his voice changed down the years?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th November 2014 - 10:50 PM