Mr Tein
post Jan 24 2012, 09:59 AM
Post #141

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 18

QUOTE (Kendley @ Jan 23 2012, 03:40 PM) *
OFF TOPIC:
Just yesterday received all my old Edgar Rice Burroughs books, including the paperbacks. Most of the Tarzan paperbacks have Powers covers (none of the Barsoom paperbacks do, but I don't even know if he did any of those). Not his best stuff by any means, but I remember thinking as a kid that he always chose the most surreal scene of the book to portray on the cover, e.g., Tarzan has a fever dream in which he's carried in an eagle's talons, one paragraph in the book unconnected in any way to the rest of the story, but the cover painting is of Tarzan dangling from the claws of a giant eagle.
Cool to have them back.

Oh My God. I have all twenty six or so of those buggers up in the loft. Loved the books but I had no idea they were Powers covers. I must go drag them down!!! Good tip
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bimble
post Jan 24 2012, 12:33 PM
Post #142

Advanced Member

Member No.: 183

QUOTE (Mr Tein @ Jan 24 2012, 09:59 AM) *
Oh My God. I have all twenty six or so of those buggers up in the loft. Loved the books but I had no idea they were Powers covers. I must go drag them down!!! Good tip

Twenty-six or so? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

+Quote Post
Mr Tein
post Jan 25 2012, 04:40 PM
Post #143

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18

and all his John carter of mars books + i was a fan. In fact I was correct - there are 26 tarzan Books!!!

Tarzan of the Apes (1912)
The Return of Tarzan (1913)
The Beasts of Tarzan (1914)
The Son of Tarzan (1914)
Tarzan and the Jewels of Opar (1916)
Jungle Tales of Tarzan (1916, 1917)
Tarzan the Untamed (1919, 1921)
Tarzan the Terrible (1921) )
Tarzan and the Golden Lion (1922, 1923)
Tarzan and the Ant Men (1924)
Tarzan, Lord of the Jungle (1927, 1928)
Tarzan and the Lost Empire (1928)
Tarzan at the Earth's Core (1929)
Tarzan the Invincible (1930-1931.)
Tarzan Triumphant (1931)
Tarzan and the City of Gold (1932)
Tarzan and the Lion Man (1933, 1934)
Tarzan and the Leopard Men (1935)
Tarzan's Quest (1935, 1936)
Tarzan the Magnificent (1936, 1937)
Tarzan and the Forbidden City (1938)
Tarzan and the Foreign Legion (1947)
Tarzan and the Tarzan Twins (1963,)
Tarzan and the Madman (1964)
Tarzan and the Castaways (1965) (Text of Tarzan and the Castaways)
Tarzan: the Lost Adventure (with Joe R. Lansdale) (1995)

+Quote Post
Kendley
post Jan 26 2012, 03:39 PM
Post #144

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

Bit squiffed about the film version.

[url]

This post has been edited by Kendley: Jan 26 2012, 03:50 PM

+Quote Post
xyzman
post Jan 30 2012, 11:42 PM
Post #145

Advanced Member

Member No.: 44

QUOTE (Andy Partridge @ Jan 18 2012, 04:50 PM) *
What would be the consensus on reissuing it at some time but in a standard jewel case? Part of me thinks it should be available and part of me doesn't want to cheapen/cheat/piss off the buyers of the original.

thoughts?

Difficult one this as I agree it should be available but the CD format is a toughy - I would suggest a "regular" promo style cardboard slip case but is that too close to the original?

+Quote Post
marcus h
post Mar 11 2012, 09:43 PM
Post #146

Advanced Member

Member No.: 254

QUOTE (Andy Partridge @ Jan 18 2012, 04:50 PM) (IMG:http://ape.uk.net/forum/style_images/ip.boardpr/post_snapback.gif) What would be the consensus on reissuing it at some time but in a standard jewel case? Part of me thinks it should be available and part of me doesn't want to cheapen/cheat/piss off the buyers of the original.

thoughts?[/quote]

I don't see a problem. Just release as a basic digipak with limited artwork. Despite planning to buy it, my arse never got into gear to buy it. So Andy if you can release as a budget option it would please me.

+Quote Post
favoritething
post Mar 30 2012, 11:28 PM
Post #147

Advanced Member

Member No.: 83

How about releasing it in a jewel case with one track DELETED? Haha. No, it would be a shame for this album to be out of print, actually. Personally, I'm quite glad that you've continued to expand your musical parameters. From the recent Sodajerker interview, I see that you regret that "Wasp Star" was not an expansion of "Apple Venus" creatively, and I'm glad that that has pushed you to explore uncharted territory with "Powers" and especially Monstrance. You've lamented that no one is creating exciting music anymore, but in fact YOU and your stable of artists are, so please don't ever get discouraged. Gonwards we go....

+Quote Post
marcus h
post Apr 3 2012, 07:17 PM
Post #148

Advanced Member

Member No.: 254

QUOTE (favoritething @ Mar 31 2012, 12:28 AM) *
How about releasing it in a jewel case with one track DELETED? Haha. No, it would be a shame for this album to be out of print, actually. Personally, I'm quite glad that you've continued to expand your musical parameters. From the recent Sodajerker interview, I see that you regret that "Wasp Star" was not an expansion of "Apple Venus" creatively, and I'm glad that that has pushed you to explore uncharted territory with "Powers" and especially Monstrance. You've lamented that no one is creating exciting music anymore, but in fact YOU and your stable of artists are, so please don't ever get discouraged. Gonwards we go....

I couldn't agree more. From Takeaway, Homo Safari series to Harold Budd collaboration (a fav of mine), Powers and Monstrance. Pushing those boundaries to personally explore your musical limits is the way forward. No need to look back, the boundaries are always forward.

On the subject of "Powers", a basic digipack release would be great. Otherwise a visit to Swindon Old Town is in order to demand a quick sketch for the cover. Its the last thing I want to do because last time I passed through Swindon it took me hour to find a way out of the place.

+Quote Post
Andy Partridge
post Apr 3 2012, 07:36 PM
Post #149

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

Hello chaps and thanks for the comments. I would like to put out a basic disc version of POWERS as so many more people have asked for it. Hopefully this will be later this year,as it does seem a shame that it's unavailable.I was very proud of it. Hope Richard M Powers would have been flattered too.

+Quote Post
Jersey Joker
post May 24 2012, 10:19 AM
Post #150

Member No.: 130

I got mine, Andy, so I would be OK if you didn't reissue it. But for those who missed out the first time, this IS quite a cool collection of sounds -- and the reissue can't take away from those who've got the "1st Edition", eh?

QUOTE (Andy Partridge @ Apr 3 2012, 03:36 PM) *
Hello chaps and thanks for the comments. I would like to put out a basic disc version of POWERS as so many more people have asked for it. Hopefully this will be later this year,as it does seem a shame that it's unavailable.I was very proud of it. Hope Richard M Powers would have been flattered too.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 6 7 8
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2014 - 10:11 AM