Possibly My Favourite
Jeff Truzzi
post Aug 15 2011, 03:24 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 7

QUOTE (Jeff Truzzi @ Jul 27 2011, 08:46 AM) *
That was absolutely one of the best moments of my life, right up there with the best sex I've ever had and hearing XTC for the first time with Simp.

QUOTE (simpleton01 @ Aug 2 2011, 12:46 PM) *
Just a slight clarification, Dear Readers. The above events were completely unrelated. Completely. Unrelated.

Thank you.

They weren't even in the same state.
Or the same decade.
Or the same millennium.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

This post has been edited by Jeff Truzzi: Sep 4 2014, 03:32 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andy Partridge
post Sep 6 2011, 06:51 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4

Don,of course I take taxi's,but if they had horse drawn ones I'd take them. Too many bloody cars everywhere,everything in town and countryside is done for the car and nothing for the person.

+Quote Post
simpleton01
post Sep 6 2011, 11:09 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

I agree completely! This really strikes a nerve with me.

First of all, I walk or ride my bike 3 & 1/2 miles to work every single day, no matter the weather, and I live in a fairly cold place. I think many, many people (although admittedly not all) who drive to work could walk instead, or bike, or take public transportation. It's my favorite part of my day! Just me and my thoughts, and/or my mp3 player. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

We don't make bike and pedestrian infrastructure enough of a priority. We paint white bike lanes on roadways built for steel death machines, and we call it good enough. Well, it's not good enough! We need to get bicyclists and pedestrians away from cars! It would encourage more and more people to get out of their cars and start exercising more.

More important, it would make people healthier. We complain about health insurance and healthcare costs, but we're not willing to get out and walk! I'm more and more convinced that health and transportation issues are inextricably linked.

And don't tell me we can't afford it. If we can afford to invade Iraq, we can afford to build pedestrian and bicycle infrastructure. It's a matter of priorities.

Disclaimer: Yes, I drive to get groceries. Those wine bottles are heavy!

This post has been edited by simpleton01: Sep 6 2011, 11:10 PM

+Quote Post
rockpants
post Sep 7 2011, 12:42 AM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,896

Public transportation in my city is a joke. Last buses run at about 6pm - and that only matters if it's going where you actually need it to. After that, you're left to cab it, try to get a ride, bike it, or walk. Which, despite my city being stretched out north-south (with the Trans-Canada "belt" through the middle), is what a lot of people do. I've done it myself. Nearly 4 hours, and I'm a quick walker (who stopped at every Tim Horton's along the way). Biking is very dangerous here as we have few bike lanes, and only intermittent ones on the main arteries. As for regional transport, getting to Vancouver from the Fraser Valley means a Greyhound. No other options exist. There's a group (which I support) pushing for light rail to at least the Surrey/Langley border, but it's a hard sell to those currently in charge.

We do have a lot of horses here, but they only tend to be ridden on the country roads out near the farms that surround the city (mostly by young women, I find) when not on designated walking trails by the rivers, and are only readily accessible to people who have money to throw around. As romantic as it sounds to have horses all over the place, even the handfuls 'round these parts produce enough shit to make you reconsider. So much fuss about dog owners not picking up after their pups, but horses are the damned worst. Just a northward flick of the tail, and plippity-plop-poop-poop, their riders none the wiser. Jerks!

+Quote Post
Kendley
post Sep 7 2011, 04:40 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

I bike to work. Worst dangers are heat stroke and geese, but drivers here are very aggressive and stupid about bikes and bikers. It is not a bike-friendly down.

+Quote Post
Kendley
post Sep 7 2011, 04:40 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Ummm... and yes, AV1.

+Quote Post
simpleton01
post Sep 7 2011, 06:36 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Hey, we're talking about pushing our cars from the road!

(IMG:http://heathermoyse.net/blog/blogImages/0909IMG_2969-w400.JPG)

+Quote Post
Suzi
post Sep 7 2011, 08:32 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

Member No.: 54

QUOTE (simpleton01 @ Sep 6 2011, 07:09 PM) *
More important, it would make people healthier. We complain about health insurance and healthcare costs,but we're not willing to get out and walk! I'm more and more convinced that health and transportation issues are inextricably linked.

I agree about walking (albeit in some circumstances, not practical and you have to use your car) I walk practically EVERYWHERE in the city I live in but I'm also centrally located. I've had many people think that I don't drive because they always see me walking everywhere. And yes, I've had a valild driver's licence since 1979 !!! And again.... yes Simp; you would all be much HEALTHIER.... heaven forbid you could get up and move around folks. Keeps you from getting fat too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Wow, what a concept. Move around and feel better too; healthy body, healthy mind. Two feet for transportation and exercise every so often. Simp, you're a damned Genius !!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
simpleton01
post Sep 8 2011, 10:50 PM
Post #49

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Suzi @ Sep 7 2011, 02:32 PM) *
Simp, you're a damned Genius !!!!!

Damned - Yes.

Genius? - Nah!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
vigotone
post Sep 11 2011, 04:09 PM
Post #50

Member No.: 823

Back to the 5.1 discussion, I would plunk down $100 in a heartbeat as a pre-order for a Deluxe AV/WS release in hi-res 5.1 DVD-A (or SACD or Blu-Ray). Perhaps if enough of us pre-ordered such an item, Andy would have the necessary funds to facilitate such a release?

And yes, the entire catalog would be incredible in 24/96 5.1 surround...

+Quote Post
spidermage
post Sep 11 2011, 05:59 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

Member No.: 35

Hi vigotone, welcome.

+Quote Post
vigotone
post Sep 15 2011, 03:51 PM
Post #52

Thanks for the welcome. I didn't realize that was my first post, so I guess I should introduce myself. Big Andy/XTC fan, TV comedy writer in Los Angeles, and no, I'm not affiliated with the bootleg label found in my user name (but I was a fan of their dirty work).

As an audiophile and 5.1 enthusiast, I'm hoping against hope that some hi-res XTC in surround eventually reaches the marketplace. I would pay almost any price!

+Quote Post
Brian
post Sep 21 2011, 09:19 PM
Post #53

Advanced Member

Member No.: 26

While AV is not my favorite XTC disc, it reminds me that comedian/social commentor Harry Shearer of Simpsons/Spinal Tap fame is on record as saying that AV is his all-time favorite CD, not merely favorite XTC CD. I believe he has the more authoritative view.

+Quote Post
Mr Tein
post Sep 22 2011, 09:11 AM
Post #54

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18

QUOTE (vigotone @ Sep 15 2011, 04:51 PM) *
Thanks for the welcome. I didn't realize that was my first post, so I guess I should introduce myself. Big Andy/XTC fan, TV comedy writer in Los Angeles, and no, I'm not affiliated with the bootleg label found in my user name (but I was a fan of their dirty work).

As an audiophile and 5.1 enthusiast, I'm hoping against hope that some hi-res XTC in surround eventually reaches the marketplace. I would pay almost any price!

Hi Vigotone and welcome. Sure hope your comedy writing is more prolific than your rate of posts on here. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
vigotone
post Sep 22 2011, 02:51 PM
Post #55

QUOTE (Mr Tein @ Sep 22 2011, 02:11 AM) *
Hi Vigotone and welcome. Sure hope your comedy writing is more prolific than your rate of posts on here. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Ha! Yes, I write for a television show in the US called "The Soup". Apologies for not posting more. I'm still enjoying lurking through all the XTC threads!

+Quote Post
Kendley
post Sep 23 2011, 02:48 PM
Post #56

Advanced Member

The Soup?
Yes, you must be prolific. Higher JPM than anything else on E!, that's for sure.
Anyway, welcome, V-tone. Rest your weary punometer, leave your mediacrap wading boots, and come on in.

+Quote Post
vivaldo
post Nov 12 2011, 12:36 AM
Post #57

Member No.: 191

QUOTE (vigotone @ Sep 11 2011, 04:09 PM) *
Back to the 5.1 discussion, I would plunk down $100 in a heartbeat as a pre-order for a Deluxe AV/WS release in hi-res 5.1 DVD-A (or SACD or Blu-Ray). Perhaps if enough of us pre-ordered such an item, Andy would have the necessary funds to facilitate such a release?

And yes, the entire catalog would be incredible in 24/96 5.1 surround...

Count me in as well! I love AV and my copy of Wasp Star skips, hicups, stops and eventually starts up again so a new one would be nice.

+Quote Post
Nowhereman437
post Nov 21 2011, 05:18 PM
Post #58

Advanced Member

Member No.: 764

I'll post my views on this album when I've heard it. I was going to wait and buy it if it ever appeard on itunes but seems as though I'm 'a troll' and ignorant and only care about myself I think I'll just download it illegally 'cause I just don't feel like being a very nice person today. ha ha ha.Well done everyone who just abused me 'cause you think my views aren't very good. If there's one thing I will not tolerate it is being called a troll and downloding this album which I've wanted to hear for a while is my way of getting revenge. Sorry Andy. I do hope you don't end up destitute and stariving to death or without enough money to go down the pub. That would just make me feel sooooo guilty.

+Quote Post
Mr Tein
post Nov 21 2011, 05:28 PM
Post #59

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18

never trust an REM fan. Thats all I say.

+Quote Post
Kendley
post Nov 21 2011, 08:36 PM
Post #60

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Mr Tein @ Nov 21 2011, 11:28 AM) *
never trust an REM fan. Thats all I say.

Fuckin' A, Aunty T.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th December 2014 - 06:35 AM